I have been working and working with Ivy and I thought we had been making progress.
But sadly, no.
My child can count to high numbers and can sing you the alphabet and likes to rhyme things but can not point you to the correct letter or number on a page if asked.
She can not seem to understand what a specific letter sounds like if asked.
"Ivy, what does the letter "M" sound like ?" ku-ku-ku
The teacher and I are finding it difficult , when you spend time going over something and she nails it and she is ever so proud and than 5 minutes later...nothing is remembered at all. It's like she wasn't even there, even though she did the work, made the sounds showed us her numbers, pointed to them on the page, circled everything on her own, sounded it all out. Nothing 5 minutes later.
She fidgets and rolls her eyes and squishes her mouth off to one side and grinds her teeth and hums and haws, then asks for a treat with out answering a thing.
I thought it was me, but the teacher backed up that she does the same thing in class.
she hasn't picked up 1 & 2.
She is very far behind.
She put on the table today of Ivy participating in a two year kindergarten program.
I was heart broken.
I don't know what to say.
I know Ivy is not getting it.
I don't know how to help her.
My parents didn't read to me, they didn't work my letters with me.
I showed them what I could do all the time.
My dad told me I was an amazing kid. I used to sit in his lap and make out the words in the newspaper.
I was reading and writing far ahead of where Ivy is right now.
The teacher and i both agreed that we need an assessment of what is going wrong in the learning process for her and she is going to try to arrange an in class evaluation.
Meanwhile I get her ears and eyes checked and try to arrange a speech therapist.
I feel like I'm a horrible parent and i feel useless helping her.
2 comments:
First off you are not a horrible parent. Second, you are not failing her. It is only kindegarten. doing it a second time is better now than say in Grade 3.
Kids all learn at their own pace so just be a little more patient. We are living the sme thing with Max so feel free to call and see how/what we are doing about it :)
Cheers
Ursula
My Dear Lisa!! This is not poor parenting; I fully understand your frustration and desires... Utalise the various resources to you - like you say, eyes & ears is a good step. She may just require a little something different in learning; in time it will all come together, things will click. As long as she is trying it's half the battle. Be there to support her, keep doing what you can and just love her...
You are a good mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Each child is different and will come into their own when it's time.
Best of luck my friend.
<3
Post a Comment