Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Family Traditions.


As all of you well know, I have lost both my parents.
After loosing my Dad in 2005, I had dreaded most of the holiday season.
The first year, I made it through with my chosen family pot luck and my daughters paternal grand parents same with '06
Then my whole world changed, I was no longer a part of the Fisher Clan, I was a with a new love but neither of us had family. I was estranged from my Sisters. I had sold my home.
Suddenly it was just Ivy, Dean and I.
Ivy was splitting time with her grandparents and me.
My chosen family was missing a few key people.
I was making a turkey for three people,one of my sisters came for a visit and promptly left due to what ever reason.
I was in tears.
'08, was definitely not what I had hoped for either.
Ivy was gone for 3 weeks with her grandparents to Disney land with her father, it was his turn to have her. I worked Christmas day and made turkey for 2 that night.
With no Ivy and no presents under the tree, again I was in tears.
It was boding to be a not so good holiday season for years to come.
I don't know what changed, I don't know when it did.
But this year, was so much better.
I took off work from the 24th. - 3rd.
With Ivy home this year and plans for my Christmas baking well in hand, I was feeling over stretched, but happier than I had in years.
There was Santa to see, presents to wrap, potlucks in hand, dinner parties to see friends with.
This year we did rack of lamb, forgeting a dinner of 10 to be eaten by 4.
Ivy got some of what she wanted, Dean went with Ivy to buy mommy a present from her to me.
I knew my extended family was not going to attend, nor did I expect them to.
I had my "Christmas" dinner on Sunday with my other chosen family, it was a Turducken Feast.
unexpected company but welcome in my home any time joined us that night.
Children running around, and good friends raising a glass with.
It was what I remember feeling as a child and I finally felt home.
Thanks to all the people who have helped to make this Christmas lighten my heart and forget past sorrows.
Brenna ( and Chris) for loving Ivy as much as she does, Shell for welcoming us into her home time and time again, Karen & Dave for including us in their Anniversary, Urs ~ for just coming down and being in my home with your family, Tracy for helping me laugh and smile, Melanie and Lair for joining in the fun and making us welcome for New Year, Fisher for spending time with his family and remembering that love is still here, My Dean for putting the smile in my heart each day and for at least understanding that sometimes you need to do what needs to be done even if you think it's pointless, both my Alberts....your both Naughty and Nice all wrapped up together, April for knowing me warts and all.
I know Im forgetting a few here, but you all get the point.
May the New Year bring light and love to all, and Adventure to the wonderful few who get to go out in the world and conquer.

1 comment:

Ursula said...

Hopefully we can rotate the traditions and have you guys up here one year :)

It was tonnes of fun

Can't wait to see what we pull off next year :)