Friday, August 14, 2009

I am a farm girl, hear me garden

I thought when we bought our townhouse condo in Deer run that Ivy and I would plant a few boxes of flowers and that would be that.
Boy was I wrong.
With no condo board and a less than useless lawn care crew, I went to town on making my townhouse something to look at and not be depressed about.
Our front started out like this:

and then I started pulling out the dead shrubs the developer planted (wrong sun for them) and sculpting the beds and got a rain barrel:


we added a planting box to the step and there will be two more next year

As for the back.
Well I went a little nuts.
I could not handle pulling up to my place and seeing shitty weeds and crab grass every day.
So I pulled out my handy dandy shovel and started to dig.
what you see here is the before












and now the after:
yup, I dug out new beds, hauled in top soil, added compost and planted a tonne of bulbs and seeds.
When they die off I'll mulch them and bust some more sod and add more organic to it next year.

As for my "backyard"
Not so good.
this is the one from across from my place.
Mine was worse.
So I racked and back filled last year.
Racked and back filled again this year and dumped a whole lot of grass seed on it.
Busted the sod all around the edges, added compost and top soil and started planting bulbs and seed, perennials and herb. Add a grafted dwarf lilac bush and salvaged the planters from last year.
we did tomatoes and started seeds we got ivy for Easter in her basket
the lilac was from Dean...it was very nice smelling, thus why we planted it by the sliding doors.
















There are over 30 bulbs in this corner, next year we are adding 10 more. The lily's kinda didn't not take.
we put a sunflower as well as a peony by the gas meter to give it a cover

and the rest is:




Ivy made a Rock Garden with Auntie Jens Fairie to guard it and a bird house to keep the baby birdies warm. she picked out all the flowers herself and helped plant them.












and of course strawberrys and sweet peas:








So this is it, I hope you enjoyed what Ivy and I have done this year in plants.

4 comments:

Ursula said...

looks awesome!!!

next year will be so much better, once the bulbs mature. I know ours took 2 years before they flowered. So hold tight putting anything in again until net fall.

subutterfly73 said...

everything has flowers about to pop except the lilys
Ivy is so happy with her"beautiful" flowers

ladyzengray said...

Yay!!!

Unknown said...

Looks good!