Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The answer is hard to hear

Ivy has been having problems recently at school.
On top of the fact she could care less about learning anything, she is now rude to her teacher.
For three weeks now, my daughter who normally is a pretty well behaved kid has now become a problem to the point the called me at work today to come get her.
I do not have the ringer on my phone on during work hours, but I did get an ear full of her behaviour problems.
I had a very long talk with Ivy in the car that resulted in tears and bawling.
I didn't once raise my voice or did I ever touch her in any way.
She knew as we left the school that she was in trouble.
She knew before we even got in the car.
She cried all the way home and for half an hour after we got in the door.
After we started to calm down and talk , I get to the real reason she is so mad/ sad at school.
She asked me tearfully " Why don't the other kids like me? Why do they think I'm weird?"
Through choked back sobs and face in blankies I get the whole story.
We calm down and wipe away tears and snuggle and she tentatively tells me her hurts.
Ivy feels very left out this year, as all her friends no longer go to the school with her.
The other girls in her class have paired off in "friends" and Ivy can't seem to crack in to a group.
She laments playing by herself a lot and not having any one who wants to play her games with her.
I don't know how much of this is true, I am going to talk to her teachers tomorrow and find out.
It is now obvious that it is time for Ivy to go to her big girl school next September and hopefully she will find someone she gets to call her friend.
I try to comfort my child, but in reality I was the weird child in my grade and did not really have close friends for a very long time, unit l I was able to leave my home town and find like minded people.
I tell her to try to play what the other kids want to play and say things to make her feel better.
I hope her next school will find her some better company.


2 comments:

Ursula said...

she will grow and flourish, see if any of her new school friends are doing sparks or some other community sports thingy and get her involved in that.

Then she will also see them outside of school so the bonding thing will come along

good luck

Melanie said...

Wow Lisa...how heart breaking. Reading this actually brought tears to my eyes.... :(

Here's hoping that a new school and new kids will open up a new level of friendships for her.